Monday, October 03, 2005

Holed up in my room tonight to do some work, but ended up watching Back to the Future in its entirety. (I only meant to watch the first 15 minutes.) Later, I was watching some of the deleted scenes and they seemed really familiar. And then I thought, were these so-called "deleted" scenes in the theatrical release? There's this one "deleted" scene where Marty confesses he's a bit nervous about hitting on his mom for the purposes of staging George's heroic entrance and he says: "You know this is the kind of thing that could screw me up permanently. What if I end up ... gay?" Shit. In the commentary for the deleted scenes, writer/producer Bob Gale explains "Basically, you'll see, we're just sort of stopping the movie for some jokes. The jokes are funny but they're not funny enough to slow the pace of the movie down." Sure, Bob. That's a really good explanation for the deletion of a bad homo joke. But again, watching the rest of these scenes, I seemed to recognize them. Is it possible that these "deleted" scenes were actually just deleted for the VHS release and were actually *in* the theatrical release?

These are the questions you have to start asking at the Ph.d. level.

Also, the DVD version doesn't have the "To Be Continued?" text before the credits roll. WTF?

I need Matt Voynovich and Matt McPetrie on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home