Sunday, October 16, 2005


This is from the new Optic Nerve. I have a love/hate relationship with Adrian Tomine. Maybe it's more of a form/content thing. Like I really enjoy his drawing style -- he draws beautiful girls and boys (as above). His stories though, are often incredibly mundane/boring. Or maybe just the characters are. Anyway, I always end up feeling vaguely dissatisfied, like I've entertained myself by ogling beautiful boring, inert people. Maybe it's the total absence of romance in his writing? Anyway, pick up Optic Nerve #10 if you want to torture yourself about this stuff.



More about this weekend. It was super fun to hang out with Olivia and her friend Paul, who is also from Niagara-on-the-Lake. Olivia also went to High School in NOTL, so we all got to swap stories about people we knew, and what a fucked up town it is: monied, rural, racist, provincial, etc. After brunch in Bucktown (aka Yorkville of Chicago) we went to Reckless Records and Quimby's (book/comic store). Chris Ware was doing a public appearance there that day (he is basically responsible for all of Quimby's signage as well) but we didn't stick around. I like his comics, but who cares about meeting him?

I went to the libary today after going to Salonica (I have to post a pic of that place up here soon). Stupidly, I forgot to bring a pen. So I began to wander around campus looking for one. It was a beautiful day, about 14 degrees or something and the "quad" was pretty quiet, just a few students lying out reading. Luckily I ran into someone I knew and they lent me a pen. That was a nice little excursion, it kind of made this whole grad school thing seem kind of nice. I've had some more thoughts about my "philosophy" of grad school, but I'll post them next time. Right now, I've got to finish watching this:

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Preston said...

i second that, kim swansula!

hey, can you post some kind of basic map of chicago (you could even draw it) just for spatial reference. like where is this "yorkdale of chicago" in realtion to this "parkdale of chicago", and where are these in relation to the Holmes Murder Castle (which should really be the central reference point for all directions in that city).

1:26 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

I'll try, once I master photoshop.

To clarify: the Holmes Murder Castle has nothing to do with me or my family, and is, of course, not another name for my place of residence in Hyde Park.

Dude, you need to update your blog. It's over a year old! Nice pix of your day with Amanda though.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home